The idea of a viral outbreak is scary and worst when it’s happening to you for real! Television makers have touched upon this subject several times before especially in 2014 and 2015. But there has also been a newer crop of shows that follow a post-apocalyptic world where a virus has taken over. In some cases, people have turned into zombies and vampires, in others, survivors might fight for survival and still, focus on weird conspiracies and secret government testing.
While staying in continues to become a normal in the world and vaccination drives increase across the globe, here are a bunch of shows that will give you a sense of relief because at the end no kind of virus is bigger than us Humans!
- The Passage: Humankind is on the brink of extinction on account of a virus outbreak caused by an animal bite. As the virus continues to spread, a botched U.S. government experiment turns a group of death row inmates into highly infectious vampires leaving the fate of the world in the hands of one little girl!
- The Strain: Another vampire outbreak in the making, the strain is a 4 season horror series created by Guillermo del Toro and based on the novel series by Chuck Hogan. This one looks at the organization’s head, who goes to investigate a suspicious airplane landing where everyone on board is dead. Only to realize it’s a viral outbreak similar to an ancient strain of vampirism, and as the virus begins to spread, the doctor must work with his team to literally save the world.
- The Vaccine: Conquering COVID: A new documentary on discovery+ exploring the cutting-edge science behind creating a vaccine to tackle COVID-19 in such a short period of time. The special goes behind the scenes of the race for a COVID-19 vaccine and features interviews with the world’s leading doctors involved including Dr Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases; Dr Francis Collins, director of the National Institutes of Health; and Dr John Mascola of the National Institutes of Health. It also dives into the accounts of people who took the vaccination, for example early trial volunteers like Jen Haller.
- Virus: Invisible Killers: Now let’s go behind-the-scenes and understand the cause of these deadly viruses, how viruses have shaped our health and history, their biological and social impact on global society, and what is being done to combat them. Ebola to small pox to influenza, each spread like wildfire but also died down eventually. Just another a small reminder that there is hope! Watch it on discovery+
- The Walking Dead: A NEW Season of the Zombie apocalypse has dropped on STARZPLAY and boy oh boy the dead don’t seem to be stopping any time soon. While Rick Grames may have moved on to greener pastures hopefully, Michonne and gang now take on the mighty Whisperers a clan of fighters even deadlier than the Zombies! It’s a do or die situation as Michonne hopes to move to a safer territory dominated by the whisperers. The very idea of whether civilization can survive in a world filled with the dead hangs in the balance.