If you’re at home and looking for good content to watch but also don’t have the patience to skim through long seasons of your favourite gritty TV shows, well there are always options that can give you more with less! Case in point: All the shows mentioned below – short, crisp and guarantee a full dose of entertainment in just under 8 hours!
Whether you’re in the mood for a little love, an action-packed adrenaline rush, thrills that keep you up at night or just a whole lot of laughs, these series make for the perfect under 8-hour binge!
- The Crossing: Take the sci-fi route with The Crossing, a cautionary fantasy tale with a deeper message. When refugees from a war-torn country start seeking asylum in a small American fishing town, it becomes clear that something strange is going on. The residents soon learn that the country they are fleeing from is America, and the war they are escaping hasn’t happened yet. While the government sets to work trying to untangle the truth behind the ominous migration, the fact that the lives of those involved will never again be the same seems to be the only thing that no one can deny.
- Ramy: Join Golden Globe Award-winner and comedian Ramy Youssef and Egyptian star Amr Waked on a spiritual journey of self-discovery in this coming-of-age story. Born Egyptian but raised in an American neighbourhood, Ramy is on a path to find his true calling. A story that every millennial today may relate to, the series captures Ramy’s real emotions mixed with dashes of dark humour to liven the story. Binge on Season 1 in one go before the next season drops!
- Love Life: We all want love whether we want it in that moment or not. Starring Oscar nominee Anna Kendrick, follow young Darby Carter’s journey from first love to lasting love, from first dates to the love that stays forever. Watch as she explores a new side to herself with every relationship and how each relationship can have a lasting impact.
- Your Honor: Starring the maverick Bryan Cranston, get engaged in a high stakes game of lies, deceit and impossible choices as a reputable New Orleans judge must make tough choices to keep his one and only son alive who gets embroiled in a hit and run case involving the son of one of the largest organised crime families. A limited series of 10 episodes only – It’s fast-paced, it’s edgy and it will keep you hooked from the get-go.
- The Good Lord Bird: If you’re in the mood to travel back in time and get a glimpse of the pre-civil war period, take the journey with The Good Lord Bird starring Ethan Hawke. Based on the award-winning novel by author James McBride, “The Good Lord Bird” is told from the perspective of Henry “Little Onion” Shackleford, a newly freed teenager who joins abolitionist John Brown on a holy crusade to end slavery. Onion encounters Frederick Douglass and Harriet Tubman, and he finds himself as a part of the famous 1859 raid at Harpers Ferry. “The Good Lord Bird” is equal parts absurd and tragic as it spotlights the ever-changing racial, religious and gender roles that make up the American identity.
- The Comey Rule: An eye-opening view into the events that took place just when Donald Trump was elected the president of America. The Comey Rule is a political drama limited series based on the book, A Higher Loyalty by former FBI director James Comey. It focuses on the tumultuous relationship between President Donald Trump and James Comey as he served under him (2013-2017), leading them on to a collision course that would change the course of American history. Part I focuses on Comey’s efforts to change the Bush administration’s policies on torture and electronic surveillance to overseeing the Hilary Clinton email investigation while Part II deep dives into the first months of Trump’s rule. Created by Billy Ray of the Hunger Games and Captain Phillips fame, the series stars Emmy award winners, Jeff Daniels and Brendan Gleeson as former FBI Director James Comey and President Donald J. Trump.
- The Capture: Seeing is not always believing. A young tenacious detective is caught in a web of conspiracy when an ex-army officer is accused of a crime he may not have committed. Soldier Shaun Emery’s conviction for a murder in Afghanistan is overturned due to flawed video evidence and he returns to life as a free man with his young daughter. But as damning CCTV footage from a night out in London comes to light, Shaun’s life takes a shocking turn and he must soon fight for his freedom once more. Although the camera footage points in his direction, has the footage been doctored with? Can you believe everything that you see?
- Pennyworth: DC fans interested in learning about the man behind Batman’s wisdom should give Pennyworth a watch. Follow Bruce Wayne’s butler, Alfred Pennyworth, a former British SAS soldier who forms a security company and goes to work with Thomas Wayne, Bruce’s billionaire father, in 1960s London.
- Four Weddings and a Funeral: A laugh riot spanning 10 episodes only! Based on the famous 1994 film of the same name, Four Weddings and a Funeral presents the story of four friends Maya (Nathalie Emmanuel), Craig (Brandon Mychal Smith), Ainsley (Rebecca Rittenhouse), and Duffy (John Reynolds) who reunite for a wedding. A bombshell at the altar disrupts their lives causing one chaotic year of romance and heartbreak, Relationships formed & turned sour and political clashes, the series is a satire on London social life.
- Family Karma: Featuring affluent Indians residing in America, this reality show hits the nail for the desis and gives the others a peak into Indian culture 101. The show follows several real-life desi families residing in Miami – the wealthy kind immersed in the drama and the reality of being an Indian! Addressing social taboos like choosing to remain single, divorce to looking for a partner, watch these perfectly imperfect desis on Family Karma and get a load of all the melodrama within!
- Alex Rider: In the mood for some teenage drama? Watch the journey of Alex Rider from an ordinary teenager to an extraordinary spy. Alex Rider is an ordinary teenager recruited by a subdivision of MI6 as a teenage spy to infiltrate places that others are unable to. He uses skills he didn’t know he had to become an extraordinary spy. Light-hearted and fun, Alex Rider’s moves will keep you glued for those 8 hours!
- Citizen Rose: Citizen Rose is a four-part American documentary television series following actress Rose McGowan, her experiences with assault in the film industry, her connection to the Harvey Weinstein sexual abuse allegations of 2017, and her role in the resulting Me Too movement. Considering the #MeToo movement and the allegations hurled at the Hollywood community, this one lady rose from the ashes and opened the authorities eyes to all that was going on.. A huge salute to her courage and determination!