Ramadan always marks the annual blockbuster season for the Arab television industry with a slate of top-rated shows hitting the tube. Each year thousand plus hours of star-studded local and regional dramas, cookery shows, lifestyle and cultural dramas premiere on the small screen. And as this list grows so does the content available online.
With so many to pick from, here are the top 5 Ramadan series that has piqued the interest of the audience – now streaming on STARZPLAY!
- Bab Al Hara: Considered one of the most-watched series in the Arab television industry, Bab Al-Hara is a Syrian social drama that takes place in the 1920s. Due to increasing public demand, the series had a long run with the 11th season now airing during the month of Ramadan exclusively on STARZPLAY. In the latest season, the French occupation of Syria is shown to be on the rise as the youth prepare to resist the occupation. New characters are introduced while some of the older one’s return. Who will see their end and who will stay? Several twists and turns await you!
- Ertugrul: Diriliş: Ertuğrul is a historical Turkish series and adventure show created by Turkish screenwriter, film producer, and director Mehmet Bozdağ. Based on Ertugrul Ghazi, the father of Osman (Uthman) who laid the foundation of the Ottoman Empire. Starring Engin Altan Düzyatan as Etrugrul Ghazi caught in a war with the Crusaders on one side, the Byzantines on another side, and the brutally expanding Mongols who murdered the Turks on another side. In a tough battle between love and his destiny, who will Ertugrul side with? Catch the extended version of this series – Only on STARZPLAY!
- Nabd Mu’aqat: Kuwaiti social drama ‘Nabd Muaqat’ (Temporary Pulse), starring Haya Abdul Salam, Hanadi Al Kandari, and Shihab Johar portrays the highs and lows of family life, as well as the challenges that come with losing a mother. Produced by Abu Dhabi Media, the story revolves around Taiba, a doctor of obstetrics and gynaecology, who was deprived of the blessing of motherhood. She tries to compensate for this deficiency by taking care of her brothers.
- Galbat Jad: Intigral, leading digital entertainment company in the MENA region has unveiled a line-up of Arabic content that is now available on STARZPLAY! LOL with Galbat Jad, a comedy series that addresses some of the issues that Saudis face outside of their country.
- Ala Aldine: Another Gulf exclusive comedy series ‘Ala Aldine’ by Abu Dhabi Media starring comedian Abdul Naser Darwish, Ahmad Al Onan, and Sultan Al Faraj. The story of Aladdin, a man in his fifties raising his two young daughters, Qamar and Shams, in City Walk, Dubai.
One of the biggest joys in Ramadan is not just spending time with family & friends but also the joy of watching your favourite shows with your favourite ones so what are you waiting for!?