So much to do and so little time! We’re already halfway through the year with the fear that we’ve achieved nothing in our short span of life always looming in the air. After browsing through every self-help book and documentary there is, don’t we always see ourselves turning to a good old movie. Movies have a charm to them that cannot go unnoticed. It’s always inspiring to watch the lead protagonist battle every obstacle along the way until they achieve success, kind of how we would like to see ourselves.
STARZPLAY has an acute collection of inspirational movies that is sure to leave an indelible impression much after it’s watched:
- The Walk: From the director of Forrest Gump and Cast Away, Robert Zemeckis comes another inspirational venture, The Walk. Based on a true story, the movie traces the journey of real-life French street performer Philippe Petit as he attempts to walk on a tightrope between the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center in New York. Starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt in the titular role supported by Ben Kingsley, Charlotte Le Bon and James Badge Dale, The Walk was lauded by critics for its sheer simplicity and ability to keep you on edge.
- The Hurricane: Denzel Washington is a shining star in his dazzling performance of a real-life boxer Rubin “The Hurricane” Carter who was wrongfully convicted for a triple murder in a bar in New Jersey. The film details his journey as a boxer, his time spent in prison until he’s let out owing to the efforts of American Canadian lawyer Lesra Martin and his Canadian foster family. 20 years of living an undeserving life? We ought to watch this movie and salute the man’s courage and resilience as he battles all the odds!
- Pearl Harbour: Starring Ben Affleck, Kate Beckinsale, Josh Hartnett, Cuba Gooding Jr., Tom Sizemore, Jon Voight, Colm Feore, and Alec Baldwin, the film portrayed a fictionalised version of the Japanese attacks against the backdrop of a love story. Two childhood friends Rafe and Danny become navy pilots and meet a navy nurse Evelyn (Kate Beckinsale). On a fateful day in 1941, the three find themselves caught amid WWII. Michael Bay brings to the screen an inspiring tale of love for the country and love for another.
- Apollo 13: Apollo 13 is a space docudrama film starring Tom Hanks, Kevin Bacon, Bill Paxton, Ed Harris, and Gary Sinise. Loosely adapted from a real-life event of the 1970 Apollo 13 lunar mission, the movie is based on the journey of three astronauts who venture out into space in the Apollo 13 spacecraft. An explosion aboard the ship cuts off their oxygen supply causing them to abort the mission to the moon. Despite its fictionalised retelling of an actual historical event, the movie is a true embodiment of courage and showcases the triumph of the men as they battle hard circumstances.
- Phantom Thread: Set in 1950’s London Daniel Day Lewis as Reynolds Woodcock is a prolific dressmaker whose meticulous lifestyle is turned upside down after he meets and falls for his muse, Alma. Phantom Thread marks Daniel Day Lewis’s last and final performance before his retirement. He reunites with director Paul Thomas Anderson to deliver a spell-binding performance supported by a strong cast Lesley Manville and Vicky Krieps who play unique characters themselves.
They make us laugh; they make us cry but they also give us hope! Streaming now on STARZPLAY!